UMass students’ Red Sox World Series celebration relatively peaceful

  • University of Massachusetts Amherst campus File photo

Staff Writer
Thursday, November 01, 2018

AMHERST — While the end of the World Series Sunday night brought a similar amount of student revelers out to the Southwest Residential Area of the University of Massachusetts campus as the Super Bowl did in February, the latest occasion was more peaceful and celebratory.

Unlike in the aftermath of the Super Bowl, with seven students arrested, seven others injured and more than $2,500 in vandalism caused following the New England Patriots’ loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, the 2,000 students who gathered outside Southwest following the decisive game five between the Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers caused few problems.

UMass spokeswoman Mary Dettloff said the crowd began to thin out about 45 minutes after the final out of the Red Sox win, at which time UMass Police issued what it termed a “soft dispersal order” by announcing, “It’s time to go home. Have a good night.”

UMass Police were assisted by Amherst Police and State Police, Dettloff said. Many officers donned riot gear and, even though people were jumping into the crowd and others were chanting and splashing in large puddles caused by the rain, there were no arrests and no medical calls.

Off campus, Amherst Police reported few issues over the weekend, which also came in advance of Halloween.

At 11:26 p.m. Sunday, Amherst Police responded to Townehouse Apartments at 50 Meadow St. to assist firefighters extinguish a bench that someone set on fire. The people gathered there fled and were not identified.

One home at 219 East Pleasant St. was the source of multiple responses during the weekend for loud parties.

Andrew C. Ballard, 20, of Belmont, was arrested at 10:09 p.m. Sunday at the location on a charge of violating the town’s noise bylaw after police responded to the residence for loud music and a loud party. The incident came less than 24 hours after police went to the same home for a loud party and warned the residents three times to keep the noise down. At 1:27 a.m. Sunday, four men were issued summons for violating the town’s noise bylaw, including a 20-year-old Belmont man, a 20-year-old Ashland man, a 20-year-old Hampden man and a 21-year-old Ashland man, police said.

Scott Merzbach can be reached at smerzbach@gazettenet.com.