Screwdriver attack sends one to hospital

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

ATHOL — A local man is in jail after allegedly stabbing a passenger with a screwdriver and beating her head against the asphalt during what he allegedly told police was a crack-induced blackout.

Leilan Quidoz, 19, of 108 Highland Ave. pleaded innocent Monday in Orange District Court to two charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery, leaving the scene of an accident involving personal injury and leaving the scene of an accident involving property damage. The last charge is a misdemeanor, the first four are felonies.

According to Athol patrolman Scott Dubrule, Athol police responded at 9:50 Saturday night to a report that a car had struck a wall in the area of Drury Avenue and Hapgood Street then fled the scene.

Officers found a bloody screwdriver in the road along with earrings, a pair of high-heel shoes and other items. Six minutes later they were called to a Parmenter Street address for a report that a woman had been attacked and needed medical treatment.

Dubrule wrote the woman had a severe head cut and her hands, face, upper body and head were smeared with blood.

The woman told police Quidoz, a friend, had given her a ride to Worcester to collect $40 from her father and she bought him dinner at a fast food restaurant on the way home. As they turned onto Drury Avenue, the woman said her friend slammed on the brakes, punched her, then climbed on top of her in the passenger seat, punching her and stabbing her with a pen-like object without explanation. Police believe the object was the bloody Phillips-head screwdriver they found earlier. The woman told police she slipped out of the car, which rolled downhill into a wall, but Quidoz continued to attack her. The woman alleged Quidoz slammed her head repeatedly into the pavement with both hands, then got up, repeatedly saying that things were all over for him now. She then ran away.

Taken to Athol Hospital, the woman left quickly against medical advice, prompting preparations for a search that ended with her turning up at home and agreeing to return to the hospital, which she again left early against advice.

Orange police found Quidoz’s car just after midnight, and Quidoz turned himself in to Athol police later Sunday morning. According to the report, Quidoz presented himself in a bloody sweatshirt and jeans, stating that he had done something bad and needed to come clean. Quidoz told police he drove his friend to Worcester to buy crack cocaine, and after eating on the way home they came back to town and smoked the drug. Quidoz allegedly told police he asked for another hit then blacked out and woke up on top of his friend, covered in blood.

Quidoz is due back in court Thursday for a dangerousness hearing.

You can reach Chris Curtis at: ccurtis@recorder.com