Holyoke man arraigned on murder charge in death of Andrew Musgrave 


  • An undated photo of Andrew Musgrave at work as a carpenter in New York City. Musgrave, a 2006 graduate of Amherst Regional High School, was shot and killed in Holyoke on August 3 at the age of 31.

Staff Writers
Saturday, September 07, 2019

HOLYOKE — The teenager accused of killing an Amherst man at a McDonald’s in August will be held in jail for the next month following his arraignment Tuesday in district court.

Dennis I. Guzman, 19, of 16 Faille Ave., is being held without the right to bail and is due back in court Oct. 2.

Guzman was taken into custody in Philadelphia on Aug. 8 on a fugitive-from-justice warrant charging him with the murder of Andrew Musgrave, 31, of Amherst, five days earlier. The warrant for Guzman’s arrest was also issued for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and unlawful possession of a firearm.

According to a police report submitted by Massachusetts State Police Trooper Noah H. Pack, on Aug. 3 at around 11:39 p.m., Holyoke police officers conducting a property check at 173 Elm St. heard gunshots coming from the area of High and Maple streets. Dispatchers also received a call reporting that a person had been shot at the McDonald’s at 285 Maple St. and that a red Toyota Camry allegedly involved in the incident was leaving the scene and driving on High Street.

The shooting victim, later identified as Musgrave, was taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy conducted the next day at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Holyoke determined Musgrave died of a gunshot wound to the left upper back, the report said.

A short time after the emergency call came in, the report said, police stopped a red 2000 Toyota Camry on S. Bridge Street. According to the report, Guzman’s friend, Michael Veguilla, got out of the car and entered a nearby home while another person, later identified as Guzman, ran away. Guzman’s father and uncle, Dennis Guzman Sr. and Carlos Guzman, were in the car and did not leave, the police report said.

Surveillance footage from inside the restaurant detailed by police in the report allegedly shows Guzman Jr., Guzman Sr. and Veguilla entering and ordering food, as Guzman Jr. and Veguilla watched Musgrave as he moved about the inside of the restaurant. The report said the footage shows Veguilla and Guzman Jr. having a conversation with Musgrave.

A witness inside the restaurant allegedly told police that the men seemed to be arguing and that the three left the building to fight. Surveillance footage shows Musgrave placing his backpack on the ground as all four left for the parking lot, the report states.

Witnesses told police they saw the fight, with one of the men punching the victim before he was shot. One witness reported seeing the victim shot twice.

When interviewed by police, Veguilla allegedly changed his story multiple times but claimed he heard one gunshot from about 10 feet away and saw the victim on the ground. Veguilla did not admit to seeing the shooting or a fight, the report stated.

Carlos Guzman, Guzman Jr.’s uncle, told police he stayed in the car while the other three went into the restaurant. He detailed for police the exchange that followed after he asked the others what had happened when they got back in the car.

“This one shot somebody,” Guzman Sr. told Carlos Guzman according to the police report, as he pointed to Guzman Jr. in the back seat. The report states Guzman Sr. then said to his son, “You’re so good with your hands, why did you shoot him?”

“Guzman Jr. said the guy had issues or problems with them and was looking for trouble,” the police report read.

The gun was not recovered, the report states.

In a previous article, Musgrave was remembered by his family and friends as “a force of nature” — a compassionate, inclusive, people-oriented, intelligent and positive person who saw the good in everyone.

Guzman’s arrest on Aug. 8 was made by members of the U.S. Marshals Service and Philadelphia Police Department. Since his arrest, he has been in custody in Philadelphia awaiting a rendition hearing. He was returned to Massachusetts Friday by members of the Massachusetts State Police and Holyoke Police Department.

Scott Merzbach can be reached at smerzbach@gazettenet.com. Michael Connors can be reached at mconnors@gazettenet.com.